To determine if calibration is needed, remove all filament and rotate the large extruder gear back and forth by hand using a smooth motion. The gear mesh should feel very smooth and consistent with no excess play or binding whatsoever at any point in its rotation. If excess play or binding is felt, use the following procedure to adjust:
STEP 1 - Adjust Large Gear
- With filament removed, ensure that there is no wobble in large gear. if there is any wobble, loosen locking nut and hand tighten gear on threaded shaft.
- Re-tighten locking nut and check for smooth movement without any resistance.
- Loosen (4) four screws on extruder motor to allow it to slide freely. Insert 4/10" in spacer between the gearing teeth of small and large gears and sandwich together. The 4/10 inch spacer is about equivalent to 4 sheets of paper or four layers of the surface protection tape.
- While applying pressure with motor to large gear, tighten fasteners to hold in place.
- Check for smooth, non-binding movement of gears.
- With filament loaded and closing latch secured in the vertical position, apply pressure by hand to the latch assembly as shown.
- While applying pressure, tighten the adjustment thumb screw by hand until finger tight and then back the screw off (1) turn.
- Close the latch and verify smooth feeding and operation.